Bikeshare reduces car usage by 5 million miles per year
In a report released today, Capital Bikeshare determined members save an average of $891 per year and collectively reduce their driving miles by 5 million per year.
Other finding include:
- 83% of respondents said they were more likely to patronize a business that was Capital Bikeshare accessible
- 82% of respondents reported increased bike use since joining Capital Bikeshare and 70% said Capital Bikeshare was an important reason
- Over all Capital Bikeshare members, this translates to 5 million fewer driving miles each year
- Capital Bikeshare members saved an average of $891 annually on travel
- Capital Bikeshare was major/main factor for 56% who reduced car use
Arlington, VA and the District of Columbia offer this regional service with over 1500 bikes and 165 stations.