Bicycling Friendly Awards
If you’ve seen the decal at the right, this page explains what it’s about.
VBF’s Bicycling Friendly Award provides an opportunity for our members to thank businesses, organizations, and people who have made special efforts to be bicycling friendly, or to promote bicycling. For example:
- a convenience store or restaurant that is welcoming to cyclists on club rides;
- a business that gives discounts to customers who arrive by bike;
- an employer that provides amenities to encourage bike commuting; or,
- an individual whose efforts have improved conditions for cyclists in the community.
Any VBF member can give a Bicycling Friendly Award, to anyone in their community who deserves it. Most awards are given by bike clubs, but we encourage bike shops, other businesses and organizations, and individual VBF members to give these awards too.
Examples of previous awards can be found in the Bicycling Friendly Awards article category. Many more awards have been given though, which we’ll have listed on this page soon.
The award itself, as supplied by VBF, is a highly visible, 5″ x 5″ blue-on-yellow decal, pictured above. These can be applied to doors or windows at a place of business, for customers to see as they enter or pass by. Order these decals from VBF by using this order form:
In addition to the decal, an award recipient is presented with a certificate of recognition. Templates and examples are provided here:
Fill in your own information, and frame the certificate for presentation. (If our templates don’t suit you, feel free to create your own.)
When you’re ready to present an award, schedule an event (such as a club ride) during which the decal and certificate will be presented. Take photographs of the award presentation, and write a story about the event for club newsletters and websites. Also do your best to get press coverage of the event, by notifying local reporters, and doing a press release.
After the event, please provide VBF with information about the recipient, why the award was given, and about the award ceremony. Use this form:
We prefer to link to stories about the event on your website, or in the press. But we’re happy to feature the whole story, with pictures, here on our website. So feel free to send your write-up and photos to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bicycling-Friendly Legislators Receive Awards April 16, 2015 0 comments
- VBF presents Del. McQuinn (D-Richmond) with Bike Friendly Award July 30, 2014 0 comments
- Three Virginia Legislators Receive Bicycling Friendly Awards April 8, 2014 0 comments
- Sen. Ebbin & Del. Lopez Receive VBF’s Bicycling Friendly Award March 9, 2012 1 comment
- Sen. Ticer Receives Bicycling Friendly Award February 17, 2011 0 comments
- Del. Kaye Kory Receives Bicycling Friendly Award February 17, 2011 0 comments
- New Kent Receives VBF Award December 9, 2010 0 comments
- Bicycling Friendly Awards in Roanoke May 5, 2010 1 comment
- Jake Helmboldt’s Bicycling Friendly Award January 20, 2010 0 comments
- Virginia Transportation Secretary Receives Bicycling Friendly Award December 18, 2009 0 comments